FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOCAL VETERANS ENCOURAGE THE PUBLIC NOT TO ATTEND THE UPCOMING MIRAMAR AIR SHOW
The San Diego Chapter of the national Veterans For Peace educational organization are conducting a five year public awareness program to educate the public concerning the annual September Miramar Air Show, so as to convince thinking folks to stay home and not attend this unnecessary and harmful event. The popular annual show features the Navy Blue Angels and a variety of explosions and fires which many people may enjoy without thinking. But the local veterans have toured the show and have come to a different set of conclusions, as follows:
The Miramar Air Show:
- Glorifies war with an exciting and colorful show of speed, power and noise.
- Celebrates the skills and machinery that exist to kill, maim and destroy.
- It is very dangerous …. 10% of all Blue Angels pilots have been killed in accidents. Miramar jets have already crashed in San Diego neighborhoods.
- It is an environmental nightmare with jets flying over our homes, spewing exhaust, at a cost of millions of dollars of fuel for the show.
- It serves as a misleading recruiting tool for our youth, often youth of color and low economic background.
Local veterans of all five services will be demonstrating on overpasses above the I-15 and I-5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays between now and the show (27-29 September 2019).
The chapter suggests that those who are interested in learning more about the show view a brief video made at the show, entitled “Disneyland of War” which is available online
For more information about this ongoing educational outreach, to interview veterans and/or obtain veteran speakers, please contact Vietnam Veteran Paul Ross at 1-619-648-7807 or at Parosslan@gmail.com.