For ten days, from August 21 to August 31, U.S. and South Korean forces will kick off the Ulchi Freedom Guardian joint military drills, highly provocative and threatening rehearsals for war involving tens of thousands of soldiers simulating surgical strikes on North Korea. Pyongyang views this as threatening and justification for pursuing its nuclear weapons and missile program.
A proposal on the table to avert war and start talks is “freeze for freeze” in which North Korea suspends its nuclear and missile testing in exchange for halting or scaling back massive US-South Korean military exercises. A growing number of American officials are calling for this “freeze for freeze,” which has also been proposed by North Korea, China and Russia.
In an August 14, 2017 poll,76% of Americans said they want diplomacy to resolve the North Korean nuclear crisis. We call for an end to dangerous brinkmanship and the start of talks!
- Stop reckless brinkmanship; Start Talks Now! Suspend US-ROK military rehearsals for war in exchange for North Korea’s halting of nuclear and missile testing.
- De-escalate tensions and build mutual trust by reuniting Korean Americans with their families in North Korea, and repatriating the remains of US servicemen still in North Korea.
- Start the peace process towards signing a peace treaty to formally end the Korean War.
By signing on, your organization commits to organizing one action during the ten-day war drills:
- Organize a vigil, protest, teach-in or any direct action in your city
- Contact your Congressional representative who is in district and let them know Americans want a diplomatic solution to end the dangerous brinkmanship!
- Share these actions on social media #NoWarOnNorthKorea! #PeaceTreatyNow!