Veterans For Peace Golden Rule Project is pleased to announce that the Golden Rule is scheduled to begin an epic voyage for Peace and Nuclear Disarmament on about May 1.
During a planned 2 ½ years around the Pacific, the Golden Rule will make a circuit around the Pacific, visiting Hawaii, the Marshall Islands, Guam, Korea and Japan, with other destinations to be announced.
The purpose of the Peace in the Pacific Voyage is :
- To support the United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons,
- To raise awareness about environmental and human costs of military and nuclear activities, and
- To support efforts to stop the possibility of nuclear war by encouraging policies that make a nuclear exchange less likely, including:
- remove weapons from hair trigger alert
- declare a no-first-use policy
- end the sole, unchecked authority of any President to launch a nuclear attack
- stop the development of new nuclear weapons and delivery systems ("modernization") and
- pursue negotiations to reduce and ultimately eliminate nuclear weapons worldwide.
The VFP Golden Rule Project is a member of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) and promotes the "ICAN Cities Campaign" that encourages cities and states to adopt resolutions encouraging their federal governments to adopt the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
Make sure to check out the Golden Rule's most recent newsletter!