In this workshop members of Veterans for Peace and other veteran activists will have the opportunity to deepen their understanding of strategic nonviolence and develop new skills for direct action and social change. Through hands-on activities, discussion, and practice we'll explore what makes nonviolent action an effective means of making change, how to build strong alliances with other kinds of activists and how to maximize the impact of various kinds of actions and civil disobedience. There will also be time to explore methods of de-escalation and how to stay grounded in situations of confrontation or conflict.
Over the two days of this workshop, we will
- Examine how to use three different kinds of power
- Explore case studies of successful direct action campaigns
- Share new considerations for creative tactics
- Develop strategies for recruiting allies and coming up with effective joint actions
- Explore principles for building campaigns that win