Veterans For Peace are fighting back to “Save Our VA”
Educate Yourself about VA Healthcare and Privatization
- Suzanne Gordon's The Battle for Veterans Healthcare: Dispatches from the Frontlines of Policy Making and Patient Care (2017); Wounds of War: How the VA Delivers Health, Healing, and Hoped to the Nation's Veterans (To Be Published in October, 2018)
- Phillip Longman's Best Care Anywhere: Why VA Health Care Would Work Better for Everyone (2012)
- FAQ on Privatization and the VA (Excerpts from the two authors cited above)
- 5 Myths of Privatization of the VA BY Phillip Longman
- Veterans Health Administration Privatization Checklist By Suzanne Gordon
- The November Elections and VA Privatization by Suzanne Gordon
Join the Save Our VA Working Group
- See our VA Working Group Page
- Contact Information: email Skip Delano email@example.com
Protest and Flyer outside YOUR local VA!
- Educating veterans who currently use the VA is excellent outreach. It's also an important opportunity to educate our fellow veterans of how our services are going to be affected if the privatization efforts continue.
- Potential Flyer
- Don't forget to send a press release about your protest!
- Make sure to take pictures and upload them to our Google Photos of SOVA actions!
Hold a Town Hall
- Another excellent way of spreading the word is holding town halls and inviting experts in privatization efforts. It is also an opportunity to hold join townhalls with other organizations that are also fighting the VA privatization efforts, ((i.e. two unions that represent VA employees -- American Federation of Government Employees [AFGE}, National Nurses United [NNU})
- Be sure to contact our Working Group for suggestions of potential speakers!
- Potential Flyer:
Write a Letter to the Editor or Op-Ed
- You can use our fact sheet or even this article on the 5 Myths Surround the VA as resources
- Or check out these samples to get more ideas!
Submit a resolutions to local organizations
- Many chapters have used the opportunity to connect with other veterans organizations, local union AFGE and political organizations to pass resolutions to Stop the Privatization of the VA.
- Examples of resolutions
Urge Your Congressman to Co-Sponsor Resolution to Stop Privatization of VA Healthcare
Check out: Veterans Healthcare Policy Institute
- Located in California a think tank on Veterans Healthcare. Through their activities, they are committed to cutting through the noise, political rhetoric, and hollow promises to examine the real impact of policy on veterans' healthcare in theory and practice. See more about what they do