Gary May, founding member and chairman emeritus of VFP Evansville/Southern IN Chapter 104, will be presented with a $250 donation from the Evansville branch of NAACP, to help fund Chapter 104’s newly created scholarship fund, called the Gary E. May Peace Scholarship Fund. The donation will be presented at Evansville’s 36th Annual Freedom Fund Banquet in November.
Scholarship applicants must write an essay or poem (1,000 words maximum) in response to any one of the following questions:
- Are drones harmful or helpful to the cause of peace?
- Which U.S. foreign policies promote peace?
- What lesson can we take from history to avoid war?
- How might we end terrorism without war?
Students attending the following schools are eligible for the scholarship:
- University of Southern Indiana
- University of Evansville
- Ivy Tech Southwest (IN)
- high school seniors in Vanderburgh, Posey, Warrick or Gibson County (IN) who plan to enroll in college upon graduation
This is a new scholarship and applicants have a good chance for winning. Encourage your eligible friends and family members to apply. The winner will receive a $1,000 unrestricted scholarship. The submission deadline is Oct. 15, and the winner will be announced Nov. 11.