VFP enthusiastically supports this year's theme Commemorative Gathering - Bridging the Past and Present Remembering the 30th Anniversary of The UCA Massacre.
SOAW strives to expose, denounce, and end US militarization, oppressive US policies and other forms of state violence in the Americas. Often these Latin American political and economic policies are directly linked to forced displacement, increased violence, and militarized borders. And as we call attention to the militarization of the border and Latin America, we also call for an end to state-sponsored terrorism and violence against our communities inside the United States.
We stand with organizations and movements working for justice and peace throughout the Americas. There is no wall or border that can deter the solidarity of the people!
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH
Bibb Mill Event Center 3715 First Ave., Columbus
Panel 1 - SOAW Staff: Where we are and where we are headed
Panel 2 - Paths forward: Practical ways to make positive change
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 17TH
South Gate Entrance - Fort Benning Road
Litany and Procession
*Please note that the SOAW gathering will be smaller this year without as many planned activities. However, the SOAW Committee felt it was important to gather on the anniversary of this year.
Veterans For Peace at Ft. Benning
Veterans For Peace will gather together for the march and march together. We will also gather for an informal meeting. Stay tuned for details. If you are coming from Veterans For Peace, please let us know by filling out this form!
Veterans For Peace has reserved 20 rooms at the Candlewood Suites, (3389 Victory Dr., Columbus, GA). Candlewood Suites are conviently located near the gates and also very close to Disabled American Veterans, (where VFP will meet on Saturday).
To get the special VFP rate of $94/night, single or double, you need to call Candlewood Suites: 706-683-9900
We would encourage folks to get doubles and share with someone else, making it $45/night. We could actually get 40 Veterans in the same hotel that way!
If there are any problems receiving the rate, please contact Mike Tork: email@example.com
Meeting 8 PM Saturday at Disabled American Veterans (1000 Victory Dr., Columbus, GA)
Schedule of Events for the Weekend
Friday 15th, 7 - 8 PM South Entrance Gate, Fort Benning, Fort Benning Drive, Columbus
Candle-light vigil at the gates to remember that on this date, Nov. 15, 1989, the SOA trained Atlacatl Battalion was meeting at Salvadoran military headquarters in San Salvador to finalize their murderous and insidious plot to invade UCA and kill Jesuit Priests.
Candles will be provided. We will have a brief program and ask people to share their thoughts on what it means to be standing at the gates on this sad anniversary.
Saturday, Nov. 16th Bibb Mill Event Center, 3715 1st Ave., Columbus
Opening - 0900 - 1000
- Music Roy - Welcome - Frame weekend - Read Fr. Jon Sobrino's statement
Panel I 1000 - 1115
- Five panelists. SOAW Staff, Council, Collective.
- History of SOAW, where it is headed, strategies from the GA, campaigns, lessons learned from the Encuentros and making the connections with what we see on the border and US intervention through training centers like SOA. Questions 1115 - 1145
Break 1145 - 1330 Long break. People can order sandwiches and relax, walk, visit with friends.
1330 - 1345 Music - Announcements
1345 - 1400
- Prisoners of Conscience - Kate Speltz Remembering our Prisoners of Conscience and 30 years of resistance!
Panel II 1400 -
- 1530 People/organizations that are making positive change even under very difficult times.
- Five panelists. Leslie Schuld - CIS, Catherine Gaffney - No More Deaths, Rita Ellis - Paz Amigos (Local group providing aid), Ana Maria - Border Patrol Victims Network, Adelina Nicholls - Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and Azadeh Shahshahani – Project South
1900 - 2000 Pax Christi gathering at Our Lady of The Lourdes Church, 1953 Torch Hill Rd, Columbus. Candlelight procession to the gates.
Sunday, Nov 17th South Entrance Gate, Fort Benning, Fort Benning Drive, Columbus
0930- Veterans join Peace Pagoda Buddhists Walk to the gates from Candlewood Suites.
1000 – Program Begins
- Music Roy
- Statement Speakers (TBD) ICE training on Ft. Benning
- Program ends no later than 1500, but probably closer to 1300
PDF of Full Schedule